Saturday, November 24, 2007

# 23 Reflections

I couldn't help myself - even as I breathed a sigh of relief that I had reached the end I had to follow just one more link - Learning 2.0 is licensed under Creative Commons. It is worth a look if you are putting original work on the Web.

What did I learn from the program?
I discovered things I didn't know about (Librarything, Rollyo etc).
It made me investigate things I hadn't bothered with (Youtube, MySpace, Facebook).
It whetted my appetite for more.

Where will I go from here?
I probably won't changed my learning style; it is too much a part of my personality. Learning through play was unfortunately drummed out of some of us as we left childhood so tackling a program like this was a bigger challenge for some than for others.

The program itself?
A bit like yum cha. An opportunity to sample a small selection of what is on offer, knowing that next time you visit there will still be new things to try.

Would I do it again?
Yes.

Things I would change?
I wouldn't be so presumptuous.

Personal challenges in doing the program?
I could not do it at work. The mind set of playing and browsing was, for me, incompatible with work mode. There was the added irritation of waiting patiently for something to load (with pressing work on the desk in front of me) only to find the site had been blocked by the IT dept)
At home I pulled rank to get the computer with internet access.

General thoughts.
In a few years time we will look back on these early days of Web 2.0 and marvel at how we accepted the 'clunkiness' of it. It promises so much, but the delivery lets it down: the pages that won't load, the security that blocks the relevant and lets through the irrelevant, the stilted presentation of even the shortest video while it is loading. It reminds me of the comparison between the early days of internet access when we used 14.4 modems and a dialup connection and our present middle of the road connections.

The biggest constraint for me was time. The fifteen minutes per day might have been actual time, but add in the time waiting to reach sites and the time committment was much greater. I ended up devoting time before breakfast at the weekend when it became obvious that I wasn't going to get it done any other way.

Congratulations Lynette and Leslie; you have done a great job.

No comments: